Abraham Silences Miranda with Scintillating Fourth-Round Knockout

After listening to Edison Miranda's trash talk for the past two years, middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham finally shut his mouth.

After listening to Edison Miranda’s trash talk for the past two years, middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham finally shut his mouth.

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- After listening to Edison Miranda's trash talk for the past two years, middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham finally shut his mouth.

Abraham, who had his own mouth literally shut after his jaw was broken in two places by Miranda when they first met, scored a sensational fourth-round knockout in their nontitle rematch on Saturday night at the Hard Rock Live Arena.

For all of Miranda's brash trash talk, he couldn't come close to backing it up.

Fighting in the United States for the first time, Abraham started a bit slowly, but then cranked it up in the fourth round.

He floored Miranda three times before referee Telis Assimenios called it off at 1:13 without a count as Miranda lay with his head against the bottom rope.

"I am a true champion and a true champion has confidence," Abraham said. "So I was here to make [a name for myself]."

They were fighting at a catch weight of 166 pounds because Miranda can no longer make the middleweight limit of 160, but the added pounds sure didn't hamper Abraham's considerable power.

He sent Miranda down for the first time early in the fourth with a crushing left to the head. Miranda scrambled to his feet, but was clearly wobbly.

"I concentrated my right hand and pointed it directly at his chin," Abraham said of the first knockdown.

Moments later, Miranda was down again from a left to the chin.

"I wanted to take care of him with the left. Boom," Abraham said.

And seconds later, Miranda went down again on another left hand as Assimenios waived it off, much to the delight of the small, but vocal group of fans who traveled from Germany to cheer Abraham on.

"I wanted to hit him with a right, but he turned his head so I hit him with the left," Abraham said of the final knockdown.

Miranda, who has smack talked like no other fighter in the sport in recent years, was finally humble after suffering a crushing knockout loss.

"He prepared very well," Miranda said. "I have no quarrels tonight. He was prepared and he felt very strong. I don't know what happened. I was 100 percent coming into this fight. I don't know. He was too strong today. He's a great champion."

When Abraham and Miranda met the first time, on Sept. 23, 2006, in Germany, Abraham retained his title in a bruising, foul-filled, bloody fight.

After his jaw was broken, Abraham was swallowing and spitting blood throughout the fight and was put into intensive care for three days after losing a liter of blood.

The injury required surgery, during which he had two titanium plates and 22 screws inserted into his jaw, and an eight-month layoff.

Miranda, 27, of Colombia and now living in Puerto Rico, was also docked five points for an intentional head butt and low blows.

The rematch looked like it might degenerate into another foul-filled affair in the second round when Miranda (30-3, 26 KOs) ripped Abraham with a clear low blow. Abraham, 28, originally from Armenia but now a star in Germany, was given time to recover and Miranda was warned by Assimenios.

Abraham said he didn't see any difference between the first fight and the rematch, broken jaw notwithstanding.

"There is no difference," Abraham said. "Every ring is the same. In this fight, I was more cautious. The last time, I didn't pay as much attention to that. I tired him out then knocked him down."

Abraham (27-0, 22 KOs) now plans to return to 160 pounds and defend his title for the eighth time in the fall against Raul Marquez, who defeated Giovanni Lorenzo in an elimination fight on the undercard.

But after that, a potential big-money showdown with recognized champion Kelly Pavlik -- who also owns a knockout win against Miranda -- could loom in early 2009. Pavlik promoter Top Rank and Abraham promoter Wilfried Sauerland have been discussing the fight for several weeks.

"I want to thank America for this big chance. Thank you, America," Abraham said. "I wish for one chance to fight Oscar De La Hoya and one chance to fight Kelly Pavlik. I like America. The American people are very nice people and I come again."

Abraham's Brother Arrested

After the fight, Alexander Abraham, the younger brother of Arthur, was arrested by Seminole police.

Alexander Abraham was part of his brother's entourage and allegedly jumped into the ring and kicked Miranda while he was being attended to by a ringside physician immediately after the fight.

Alexander Abraham was quickly taken into custody by police and removed from the building.

He was transferred to the Broward County Sheriff's Office, where he arrived at approximately 2:15 a.m. Sunday and was awaiting processing, according to Jacqueline Whitfield, the clerk on duty.

Alexander Abraham, 26, who lives with his brother in Berlin, Germany, is also a professional boxer. He is a junior middleweight with a record of 21-0-1 with 15 KOs.

Arthur Abraham could face a possible fine from the Florida State Athletic Commission for failure to control his team.

Source: ESPN.com


Other News